This is a professional development blog for Nottingham Elementary. We'll be discussing books we have read as a group. Our discussions will be focused on gifted children.
I give my students freedom through digital projects they can make through iPad apps such as Chomp and Tellagami. But I could be better at the choice of people they can study. I just have them research people that are in our databases in PebbleGo and the TEKS. But I need to devote some time during the first two weeks of school to allow them to brainstorm possibilities. This freedom is liberating for the students to think critically (Kindle location 537). All ideas, good or bad, are welcome.
I agree with Annie Mitchell's post on June 14th that " freedom is liberating for students to think critically." Freedom is hard as the book states and it comes with no one idea fits all. We are all unique and our ideas should reflect that.
@Annie Mitchell 6/14, I think you have a great idea for where to go further in student choice: social studies research projects. Perfect, because their ideas are limitless and choice of who to research may come from a family discussion, personal interest, or cultural events.I find the desire for choice on the part of students is an example of infinity. Often if I give them 2 choices, they want a different one. If I give them 4 choices, they want something else. However, like the author wrote, having no structure implodes. (Page 20, Time wasn't a magic cure. Interestingly, about 20% of the students to which I introduced 20% Time valued it. The other 80% imploded.)Rotating types of choices such as collaborative teams, end products, supplies, and seating arrangements has led to some success. I will keep pressing forward to offer more choice, within a structure they can handle.
I agree with Melanie Marshall's response about "giving students 2 choices, they want a different one." They see the grass is greener on the other side. Having no structure implodes.
As Don gave his students "the freedom to learn whatever they wanted, they did not know what to do," has occurred numerous of times in the class. (page 19) When students were asked to come up with a business idea that others have not thought out and it must be unique. Students started to scramble. They wanted to just take another's idea and branch out. After some brainstorming and googling, they started to get "innovative" on products and marketing ideas on what they wanted to sell.
I agree with Sarah Chu about how freedom is hard. Students coming up with their own ideas has been difficult the pass few years. Students want to know if they are right, not necessarily innovative, with their thinking.
I agree as well. Whenever I give them choices they struggle to come up with things and they are always looking at me for suggestions or approval. I feel kids are not as creative and imaginative these days because they are never allowed to use it like we did when we were younger. They are looking for that approval and thumbs up because again they are looking at the end result which is a grade
I loved on page 20 when they talked about Arthur and his story. It is the perfect analogy for our kids. This man was in jail for years and use to being told what to do every minute of his life. When he was released and had to do everything on his own he was completely lost. He wanted to do well, but he didn't know how and didn't have the tools. He needed direction and guidance just like our kids do. We've always given students choices, but it was when they were finished with all their assigned work. They had choices on what they can do when they are finished. It's scary, but I know this is something I have to get better at. I think It'sLearning is definitely going to help me with this.